2016 Federal MPO Certification
2016 Federal Certification Review of the Baltimore Regional Transportation Board
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) invited the public to share their thoughts about the regional transportation planning process conducted by the Baltimore Regional Transportation Board (BRTB) from March 22 through April 29, 2016. The public comment period was part of FHWA and FTA’s 2016 Federal Certification Review of the BRTB. The BRTB is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Baltimore region.
A report on the findings of the federal certification team was delivered July 2016 and a presentation was provided to the BRTB at their August 23, 2016 meeting.
ABOUT THE FEDERAL CERTIFICATION REVIEW
Every four years, FHWA and FTA conduct an on-site review of the BRTB. The purpose of the certification review is to:
- provide an objective evaluation of the regional transportation planning process;
- ensure that federal planning requirements are being satisfactorily implemented by the BRTB;
- provide advice and guidance to the BRTB for ways it can further enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the planning process and improve the quality of transportation investment decisions;
- help ensure that the major transportation planning issues facing a metropolitan area are being addressed.
FHWA and FTA also verify that the BRTB are implementing previous recommendations for improvement.
A public review period was held from March 22 through April 29, 2016. During this time, a public meeting was held on Monday, April 25,2016* from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Baltimore Metropolitan Council. Staff from FHWA and FTA were on hand to listen to public comments on the work of the BRTB and its efforts to address major transportation issues facing the region.
The BRTB also welcomed verbal and written comments to be presented during the Public Comment Opportunity during the BRTB meeting on Tuesday, April 26 at 9 a.m. at the Baltimore Metropolitan Council. An evaluation of the BRTB was also welcome via an online and print survey, as well as via email, mail, fax, and via Twitter.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FEDERAL CERTIFICATION REVIEW PROCESS
- US DOT Primer on Certification
Because planning certification reviews are major events for an MPO and its partner planning/transportation agencies, the FHWA and the FTA have developed the accompanying topic "outlines" to serve as a primer for those individuals and organizations involved in the certification review process. This primer provides a basic understanding of the key concepts and expectations addressed through a review, along with references to pertinent laws, regulations, policies, and other resources.
- 2012 Federal MPO Certification Report
For more information: Monica B. Haines Benkhedda, firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-732-0500 x 1047
* Notice: The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, or national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable laws. Appropriate services can be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities or those in need of language assistance who submit a request at least seven days prior to a meeting. Call 410-732-0500.